Fun Facts About Calico Cats:
- Cats must have the colors orange, black and white (or muted shades of these colors) to be considered a true calico.
- Calicoes are almost always female because females have two X chromosomes. One X chromosome will carry the orange color and the other chromosome will carry the black.
- Male (XY) cats are rarely calico. If they have two X chromosomes (XXY) they could possibly be calico but will most likely be sterile, as well.
- In 2001 calicoes were voted Maryland's state cat!
- According to our vet- Calicoes tend to be pretty fearless. Jane isn't startled easily and she walked out of the woods right up to us when we found her, or she found us.
Dash, however, is not impressed with the newbie. "She can chase my tail all she wants. I really just want to eat her food." he says.